200 g gluten free self raising flour
75g butter or dairy free alternative
50g ground almond
1 egg, beaten
25g castor sugar
150 ml milk or dairy free alternative
1tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp xanthan gum.
1 egg, beaten to glaze
1 x parchment lined baking sheet.
- Place all the weighed dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl or food processor.
- Add the butter or dairy free alternative, rub in until a fine crumb.
- Add the beaten egg, milk or dairy free alternative, gradually until fully incorporated, creating a moist dough.
- Spoon the scone mix onto a lined baking tray and brush with egg to glaze.
- Bake at 160c for approx. 10 /15 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve warm or cooled with preserve and clotted cream or butter.
Bite Sized Tips:
- For Cheesy Scones - Freeze feta & finely grate it to use as lactose free alternative to finely grated dairy cheese. Jill picked this up from the Saturday kitchen on BBC.
- Savoury scones - Replace ground almonds with finely grated Parmesan (contains dairy) or Pecorino cheese which is lactose free made from ewes milk, both are highly flavoured Italian hard cheeses. A pinch of salt, pepper & mustard powder. Mustard Powder is gluten free whereas mustard pre-mixed may contain gluten.
- Any additional ingredients which are heavier, such as fruit or olives add 1/4 teaspoon more baking powder.