60g wholewheat flour / swap with oatflour if wheat free
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
60g butter / swap with plant based margarine if V
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar
60-80ml hot water
You can add lemon zest, cinnamon, ginger, fennel or sesame seeds for flavour to spice these oat cakes up.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190C.
- Mix together the oats, flour, salt, sugar and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the butter and rub together until everything is mixed and has the consistency of large bread crumbs.
- Add the water (from a recently boiled kettle) bit by bit and combine until you have a somewhat thick dough. The amount of water varies; depending on the oats.
- Sprinkle some extra flour and oats on a work surface and roll out the dough to approx. 1/2cm thickness. Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes (the final number of oatcakes depends - of course - on the size of cutter you use.
- In a wonderfully Scottish twist/coincidence I found that using an upturned whisky glass makes the perfect size :-)
- Place the oat cakes on a baking tray and bake for appprox. 20-30mins. or until slightly golden brown.