Last month we talked about picnics and packups, and our Free From Foodie members made lots of lovely, delicious suggestions. We have added another recipe for you, which is vegan and gluten free.
200g dried chickpeas or dried broad beans soaked overnight
3/5 cloves of garlic according to your taste (can be omitted)
1 onion finely chopped (can be omitted, use grated carrot instead)
1 heaped teaspoon cumin
1 x heaped teaspoon ground coriander
1 x red chilli finely chopped
¼ teaspoon black pepper
¾ teaspoon sea salt
1 x bunch of coriander roughly chopped
1 x pan of hot oil / shallow or deep fry or deep fat fryer
- Rinse the chickpeas in plenty of fresh waster (until water runs clear).
- Place the chickpeas into a food processor or blender along with all the other listed ingredients.
- Blend until a paste, this can be rough or smooth according to your taste.
- Use 2 x dessert spoons to mould the paste into ping pong ball sized shapes.
- Heat oil until hot and place the falafel paste balls into the hot oil carefully, fry until golden all round.
Falafels can be served with pitta bread and tzatziki they are great as a starter, with salads and packed lunches.