Cod, Salmon or Prawns (approx. 250 g Cod, fillet )
1 tsp of ground garlic (Can be omitted if FODMAP)
1 thumb-sized piece Ginger or 1 tsp of ground ginger
1 small Onion (Can be omitted if FODMAP)
100 g Spinach (Tomatoes can be used instead if you are not keen on Spinach).
1 can Coconut milk, give the can a good shake before opening.
1 tbsp Garam Masala Blend or Ras el Hanout Blend or Tandoori Masala Blend
1 tsp Paprika, smoked (omit if you are not keen on Paprika)
1 tsp Turmeric for added fragrance
2 tbsp Groundnut oil (Olive Oil is fine to use as well)
Serve with boiled basmati rice.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices.
- Coat the fish with half the spice mixture and leave to one side.
- In a medium lidded frying pan, heat the oil over a medium heat so it is hot but not spitting. Add the chopped onion, garlic and ginger, and warm for approx. 8 mins until softened.
- Add and stir in the remaining spice mix and gently cook for 1 min to release the flavour of the spices.
- Pour in the shaken coconut milk, bring to the boil (small bubbles will start to show) and simmer for 3-5 mins to reduce slightly.
- Then add the fish and spinach. Place the lid securely on and continue to cook for 5 mins or so until the spinach has wilted and the fish is cooked through. (If you gently place a knife in the fish the flakes should separate easily).
- Season to taste and serve with basmati rice. You may not want to season with salt and pepper, as the other flavours will be sufficient, so taste the dish beforehand.
Victoria Shorland, Eat To Live, Faversham, Consultant Nutritionist. 07789512825.