This filling is luxuriously creamy and full of flavour, perfect for a special occasion, picnic or summer BBQ. Just because you are Coeliac or a Free From Foody doesn't mean you can't enjoy pastry.
1 x pint of double cream
2 x whole egg
2 x egg yolks
100 g grated hard cheese of your choice
Ground white pepper
English mustard made from powder
200 g Spinach
- Warm the cream on a gentle heat
- Add the grated hard cheese of your choice
- Leave to cool slightly
- Whisk in the eggs, mustard, salt and ground white pepper taste with a teaspoon to adjust the seasoning
- Wilt your spinach either in a pan with a little butter or in the microwave
- Place the spinach in muslin cloth and squeeze to remove excess liquid created by cooking
- Evenly distribute the spinach within the tart case and season with salt and pepper
- Pour over the creamy cheese filling
Italian hard cheese pastry - GF
200 g gluten free self raising flour
150 g Italian hard cheese finely grated
50 g cheddar finely grated
200 g dairy butter (unsalted)
Pinch of ground white pepper
Pinch of mustard powder
1 whole egg (medium)
1 x table spoon iced water
1 x metal flan tin with pop out bottom
A parchment lining
Oven 160 °c
- Place all the ingredients into a food processor or food mixer and beat until the ingredients form a dough.
- Carry on beating for a couple of minutes.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- 4 - Remove from the fridge and roll as desired to line your flan tin. (Keep the pastry cool so it is less likely to crumble).
- Blind bake for 45 mins then remove from the oven.
- The pastry will be too delicate to remove the parchment and baking beans so leave to cool for 15 minutes the base will look under cooked but do not worry at this stage about a soggy bottom.
- Remove baking beans and parchment and return the pastry case on the bottom shelf of the oven until the base is golden and cooked.
- Leave your pastry case to cool before filling.
- Pour the filling into the pastry case until nearly at the top, place in the oven and bake on 160 C for 20 - 30 mins or until the filling is set.
- Remove from the oven and gently remove from the tin.