- The urinary tract is amazing; it contains oestrogen receptors, so as womens oestrogen drops as a result of the peri-menopause, the urinary tract is effected.
- Also, as we age the elasticity and volume of the bladder changes, which may allow bacteria to pass through. This can mean the wrong type of bacteria flourish.
- Vaginal dryness can play a part, as intercourse can cause irritation leading to bacterial infection. This in turn can worsen, leading to a UTI.
- Reduce irritants in your diet.
- Reduce stimulants such as caffeine and alcohol.
- Talk to your GP about oestrogen vaginal suppositories.
- Take Cranberry Capsules as a preventative to cystitis.
- Watch you hygeine; ladies wipe from front to back to prevent cross infection. E-Coli is an example of bowel cross infection.
- Don't soak in the bath.
If symptoms persist visit your health practitioner for a check up.