Have you ever really looked at how much plastic you are using in lunch boxes. When you think of the 000’s of lunch boxes that our children use, containing pre-packaged foods, it equates to an enormous amount of waste.
IF WE STOP BUYING THE OVER PACKAGED ITEMS, AND CHOOSE PRODUCTS WITH LESS PACKAGING, MANUFACTURERS WILL ADAPT AND CHANGE.
Average Lunch Box – WASTE
Pre-packed sandwiches (only the card can be recycled.)
Packet of crisps or similar
Fruit in a wrapper
Plastic Bottle of Water or Juice.
Home-made sandwich in re-useable box
Home-made Potato wedges
Whole fruit, try an apple or pear.
Decant from large pot into small re-useable tub. Recycle large pot at home.
Carrot batons and cherry tomatoes
Re-useable glass or recycled plastic bottle refill at home, and school.
USE THE DELI COUNTER IN SUPERMARKETS
- The staff will use a lot less plastic than the pre-wrapped products on the shelves.
- Ask staff for the same price as the packaged meats, and they will do so.
FRUIT AND VEG AISLE
- Don’t use the plastic bags, just put the chosen fruit or vegetables in your trolley or basket. Staff will weigh it at the checkout, or you can at the self-service.
- Use one of your own bags to load fruit and veg into, along with other fresh consumables.
WASHING UP AND DETERGENTS
- SWAP - If your dish washer tablets are wrapped individually, that is plastic waste. SWAP to a product packaged in card and does not use the individual wraps.
- Choose the white or clear plastics or buy a large bottle and decant into a small one you can reuse.
- Lots of detergents are packed in cardboard; choose these, it will encourage manufacturers to favour this packaging.
- Use ECONUTS, brilliant money saving detergent.
DOG POOP BAGS – BIODEGRADABLE IN 3 MONTHS
This is a contentious issue as our countryside is littered with plastic bags full of poop,
And this is a real environmental issue on our very doorsteps. BUY BIODEGRADABLE BAGS THAT
ARE GONE IN 3 MONTHS.
WHAT PLASTICS ARE BETTER FOR RECYCLING
- White and transparent plastic is easier to recycle in the recycling process.
- Coloured plastics have to be sifted out and categorised, which costs more, making recycling less viable.
- By choosing products which are simple to recycle, it helps drive recycling forward and will encourage manufacturers to use white or clear plastics, rather than bright fancy colours.
Cotton Lunch Bag with freezer block / Ditch the Plastic Cool Bag.
Wooden or Bamboo Cutlery / Ditch the plastic cutlery.
Wrap presents in brown paper with string or ribbons / Ditch the plastic ribbons and bows.
Plain Paperclips / Ditch the plastic coated coloured paperclips.